|Target group :
||Higher Secondary or its equivalence with basic knowledge of spoken English. |
||7 per batch|
||First of January & September of each year |
||Offered twice a year|
|Medium of Instruction:
||Dr. Usha Kim|
Uncorrected refractive errors are a significant cause of avoidable visual disability, especially in developing countries. Lack of awareness compounded by the non availability / inaccessibility of affordable optical services has been indicated in WHO surveys of blindness and visual impairment worldwide. Uncorrected refractive errors could lead to amblyopia in children and may lead to visual loss. Such avoidable blindness can be easily prevented by wearing appropriate spectacles. WHO has taken serious steps by launching vision 2020 and advocating training for optometrists and opticians to combat this type of blindness.
What is optical dispensing?
Optical dispensing is a subspecialty of optometry which includes all procedures from the time the glass prescription is presented to the optician till the patients receives the pair of glasses satisfactorily.
Needs and Importance of the Optician
A trained optician is required for the management of avoidable blindness by means of modern scientific dispensing. Aravind Eye Care System offers advanced training in optical dispensing and trains the optical technicians in a well equipped optical training centre. The objective of this course is to develop the opticianary skills and knowledge for quality vision care services.
Aravind Eye Care System
Aravind is a social organization committed to its goal of eliminating needless blindness through its network of five hospitals, extensive community outreach activities and providing over 20% of its services completely free of cost.
Aravind Plays an important Role in Ophthalmic Training
The education and training programmes at Aravind Eye Care System are intended for all levels of training of ophthalmologists, optometrists, ophthalmic assistants and ophthalmic technicians.
After the completion of this course the candidate will be able
- After the completion of this course the candidate will be able to
- guide the patients to choose the suitableframes and appropriate lenses for their visual needs
- measure the lens power by lensometry
- do lens glazing by manual process
- troubleshoot the problematic spectacles
- do the frame measurements, centering and decentering
inspect the lens defects
- organize the optical service in community outreach programmes
- The principles and systems of optical dispensing
- Optical systems and refractive states of the eye
- Instruments used in optical dispensing services
- Optical counselling and after sales service
- Lens and frame purchase and inventory management
How will you learn?
- Training Methodology
- Observation in Optical Sales
- Hands-on training
- Group discussion, situation analysis study, seminars and case presentation
- Out reach camps
- Maintaining log book
- Weekly evaluation
- Practical Examination
- VIVA VOCE
- Final Exam (Theory & Practical)